- A master's degree in arts and sciences
- Master of Arts, MA, Artium Magister
- Modulation of the amplitude of the (radio) carrier wave
- amplitude modulation
- Before noon
- ante meridiem
- A radioactive transuranic metallic element; discovered by bombarding uranium with helium atoms
- americium, atomic number 95
Verb: be (am,are,is,was,were,been,being) bee
- (Latin) before noon
"let's meet at 11 A.M.";
- ante meridiem
- Have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun)
"John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"
- Be identical to; be someone or something
"The president of the company is John Smith"; "This is my house"
- Occupy a certain position or area; be somewhere
"Where is my umbrella?"; "The toolshed is in the back"; "What is behind this behavior?"
- Have an existence, be extant
"Is there a God?";
- Happen, occur, take place
"I lost my wallet; this was during the visit to my parents' house"; "There was a lot of noise in the kitchen"
- Be identical or equivalent to
"One dollar is 1,000 rubles these days!";
- Form or compose
"This money is my only income"; "The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance";
- constitute, represent, make up, comprise
- Work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function
"He is a herpetologist"; "She is our resident philosopher";
- Represent, as of a character on stage
"Derek Jacobi was Hamlet";
- embody, personify
- Spend or use time
"I may be an hour"
- Have life, be alive
"Our great leader is no more";
- To remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted -- used only in infinitive form
"let her be"
- Be priced at
Derived forms: AMs
See also: antemeridian
Type of: master's degree, metal, metallic element, modulation, occupy, remain, represent, rest, stand for, stay, symbol [archaic], symbolise [Brit], symbolize, take, typify, use up
Encyclopedia: AM Am, Antes del MediodÃa Be, Inc