Adjective: appealing u'pee-ling
Verb: appeal u'peel
- Able to attract interest or draw favourable attention
"He added an appealing and memorable figure to popular American mythology"; "an appealing sense of humour"; "the idea of having enough money to retire at fifty is very appealing"
- (of characters in literature or drama) evoking empathic or sympathetic feelings
"the appealing characters in the play";
- sympathetic, likeable, likable
- Take a court case to a higher court for review
"He was found guilty but appealed immediately"
- Request earnestly (something from somebody); ask for aid or protection
"appeal to somebody for help";
- Be attractive to
"The idea of a vacation appeals to me";
- Challenge (a decision)
"She appealed the verdict"
- Cite as an authority; resort to
"I appealed to the law of 1900";
See also: attention-getting, attractive, catchy
Type of: advert, bespeak, bring up, call for, challenge, cite, mention, name, quest, refer, request, take exception
Encyclopedia: Appealing Appeal