Verb: bear down behr dawn
- With full strength
"his beardown performance in the exhibition game"
- Exert a force with a heavy weight
"The snow bore down on the roof";
- drag down, bear down on, press down on, weigh down
- Contract the abdominal muscles during childbirth to ease delivery
- To make a rush at or sudden attack upon, as in battle
"he saw Jess bearing down at him with a pitchfork";
- (baseball) exert full strength
"The pitcher bore down"
- Pay special attention to
"The lectures bore down on the political background"
- Exert a force or cause a strain upon
"This tax bears down on the lower middle class"
Derived forms: bears down, bore down, bearing down
See also: strong
Type of: accent, accentuate, burden, charge, compact, compress, constrict, contend, contract, emphasise [Brit], emphasize, fight, press, punctuate, rush, saddle, squeeze, stress, struggle