Noun: brakes breyks
Noun: brake breyk
- A braking device consisting of a combination of interacting parts that work to slow a motor vehicle
"the mechanic's failure to check the brakes";
- brake system
Verb: brake breyk
- A restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
- Any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- Large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
- bracken, pasture brake, Pteridium aquilinum
- An area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- Anything that slows or hinders a process
"she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage"; "new legislation will put the brakes on spending"
- (driving) stop travelling by applying a brake
"We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
- (driving) cause to stop by applying the brakes
"brake the car before you go into a curve"
Sounds like: breaks
Type of: brush, brushwood, constraint, coppice, copse, fern, halt, restraint, stop, thicket
Part of: automotive vehicle, genus Pteridium, genus Pteris, motor vehicle, Pteridium, Pteris, wheeled vehicle
Encyclopedia: Brakes Brake, WV