Adjective: bruising broo-zing
Verb: bruise brooz
- Causing mental or emotional injury
"a bruising experience"; "protected from the bruising facts of battle"
- Brutally forceful and compelling
"protected from the bruising facts of battle"
- Injure the underlying soft tissue or bone of
"I bruised my knee";
- Cause (somebody) emotional pain or offence
"This remark really bruised my ego";
- hurt, wound, injure, offend, spite
- (cooking) break up into small pieces for food preparation
"bruise the berries with a wooden spoon and strain them"
- Damage (plant tissue) by abrasion or pressure
"The customer bruised the strawberries by squeezing them"
See also: forceful, harmful
Type of: arouse, crush, damage, elicit, enkindle, evoke, fire, injure, kindle, provoke, raise, wound
Encyclopedia: Bruising Bruise