Noun: buildup 'bild,úp
Verb: build up
- The act of building up an accumulation
"I envied his rapid buildup of assets"; "a military buildup in preparation for the invasion"
- The result of the process of accumulation
"the buildup of leaves blocked the drain pipes"
- Highly favourable publicity and praise
"his letter of recommendation gave her a terrific buildup"
- Enlarge, develop, or increase by degrees or in stages
"build up your savings"
- Form or accumulate steadily
"Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border";
- work up, build, progress
- Prepare oneself for a military confrontation
"troops are building up on the Iraqi border";
- arm, fortify, gird
- Bolster or strengthen
"build up confidence";
- work up, build, ramp up
- Change the use of and make available or usable
"The remote areas of the country were gradually built up";
Derived forms: buildups, built up, building up, builds up
Type of: accretion, accrual, accruement, accumulation, ameliorate, amend, better, develop, improve, increase, meliorate, mend, packaging, promotion, promotional material, publicity
Encyclopedia: Buildup Build up