Verb: challenge cha-linj
Noun: challenge cha-linj
- Question the truth or validity of; take exception to
"She challenged his claims";
- dispute, gainsay
- Issue a challenge to
"Fischer challenged Spassky to a match"
- Ask for identification
"The illegal immigrant was challenged by the border guard"
- (law) raise a formal objection in a court of law
- take exception
- A demanding or stimulating situation
"they reacted irrationally to the challenge of Russian power"
- A call to engage in a contest or fight
- Questioning a statement and demanding an explanation
"his challenge of the assumption that Japan is still our enemy"
- A formal objection to the selection of a particular person as a juror
- A demand by a sentry for a password or identification
Derived forms: challenged, challenging, challenges
Type of: bespeak, bid, call for, contend, contest, demand, inquiring, invite, object, objection, quest, questioning, repugn, request, situation, speech act, state of affairs
Encyclopedia: Challenge, California