Noun: contingent kun'tin-junt
Adjective: contingent kun'tin-junt
- A gathering of persons representative of some larger group
"each nation sent a contingent of athletes to the Olympics"
- (military) a temporary military unit
"the peacekeeping force includes one British contingent";
- Possible but not certain to occur
"they had to plan for contingent expenses"
- Determined by conditions or circumstances that follow
"arms sales contingent on the approval of Congress";
- contingent on, contingent upon, dependent on, dependent upon, depending on
- Uncertain because of uncontrollable circumstances
"the results of confession were not contingent, they were certain"
Derived forms: contingents
See also: conditional, possible, uncertain
Type of: assemblage, force, gathering, military force, military group, military unit