Verb: deflate dee'fleyt or di'flate
- Collapse by releasing contained air or gas
"deflate a balloon"
- Release contained air or gas from
"deflate the air mattress"
- Reduce or lessen the size or importance of
"The bad review of his work deflated his self-confidence";
- Produce deflation in
"The new measures deflated the economy"
- Reduce or cut back the amount or availability of, creating a decline in value or prices
"deflate the currency"
- Become deflated or flaccid, as by losing air
"The balloons deflated"
Derived forms: deflated, deflates, deflating
Type of: alter, bring down, change, collapse, cut, cut back, cut down, decrease, deprecate, depreciate, diminish, fall, lessen, modify, reduce, release, trim, trim back, trim down, turn, vilipend