Verb: deny di'nI
- Declare untrue; contradict
"He denied the allegations"; "She denied that she had taken money"
- Refuse to accept or believe
"He denied his fatal illness"
- Refuse to grant, as of a petition or request
"The dean denied the students' request for more physics courses"; "the prisoners were denied the right to exercise for more than 2 hours a day"
- Not allow (someone) to have
"She denies me every pleasure"; "he denies her her weekly allowance";
- Not allow oneself to have (something); restrain, especially from indulging in some pleasure
"She denied herself wine and spirits";
- (law) Contradict formally (an allegation of fact by the opposing party) in a legal suit
- Refuse to recognize or acknowledge
"Peter denied Jesus"
Derived forms: denying, denies, denied
Type of: check, contain, contradict, contravene, control, curb, disavow, disown, hold, hold in, hold on, keep, keep back, moderate, negate, renounce, repudiate, withhold
Antonym: admit, allow
Encyclopedia: Deny, Deny, Deny