Noun: dropout 'dróp,awt
Verb: drop out dróp awt
- Someone who quits school before graduation
- Someone who withdraws from a social group or environment
- Give up in the face of defeat of lacking hope; admit defeat
"In the second round, the challenger dropped out";
- give up, fall by the wayside, drop by the wayside, throw in, throw in the towel, quit, chuck up the sponge [US, non-standard]
- Withdraw from established society, especially because of disillusion with conventional values
"She hasn't heard from her brother in years--he dropped out after moving to California"
- Leave school or an educational program prematurely
"Many students drop out because they are not prepared for our challenging program"
Derived forms: dropouts, dropped out, drops out, dropping out
Type of: depart, individualist, leave, pull up stakes, quitter, retire, withdraw
Encyclopedia: Dropout Drop out