Adjective: dying dI-ing
Noun: dying dI-ing
- In or associated with the process of passing from life or ceasing to be
"a dying man"; "his dying wish"; "a dying fire"; "a dying civilization"
- Eagerly desirous
"dying to hear who won";
Verb: die (died,dying,dies) dI
- The time when something ends
"a dying of old hopes";
- death, demise
- People who are about to die
"The battlefield was littered with the dead and dying"
- Pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life
"She died from cancer";
- decease, perish, go, exit, pass away, expire, pass, kick the bucket, cash in one's chips, buy the farm [N. Amer], conk, give-up the ghost, drop dead, pop off, choke, croak, snuff it, pop one's clogs
- Suffer or face the pain of death
"Martyrs may die every day for their faith"
- Be brought to or as if to the point of death by an intense emotion such as embarrassment, amusement, or shame
"I was dying with embarrassment when my little lie was discovered"; "We almost died laughing during the show"
- Stop operating or functioning
"The car died on the road";
- fail, go bad, give way, give out, conk out, go, break, break down
- Feel indifferent towards
"She died to worldly things and eventually entered a monastery"
- Languish as with love or desire
"She dying for a cigarette"; "I was dying to leave"
- Cut or shape with a die
"Die out leather for belts";
- die out
- (baseball) to be on base at the end of an inning, of a player
- Lose sparkle or bouquet
- pall, become flat
- Disappear or come to an end
"Their anger died"; "My secret will die with me!"
- (religion) suffer spiritual death; be damned (in the religious sense)
"Whosoever..believes in me shall never die"
Sounds like: dyein
Derived forms: dyings
See also: die down, die out, eager, keen, last, moribund
Type of: ache, break down, change, change state, cut out, disappear, end, ending, endure, experience, exscind , feel, go away, languish, lose it, pine, play, snap, suffer, turn, vanish, yearn, yen
Antonym: be born, nascent
Part of: life, lifespan, lifetime, life-time
Encyclopedia: Dying Die, Mommie, Die!