Adjective: etched echt
Verb: etch ech
- Cut or impressed into a surface
- engraved, graven, incised, inscribed
- (art) make an etching of
"He etched her image into the surface"
- Cause to stand out or be clearly defined or visible
"a face etched with pain"; "the leafless branches etched against the sky"
- (art) carve or cut into a block used for printing or print from such a block
"etch a letter";
- Carve or cut a design or letters into
"etch the pen with the owner's name";
- Selectively dissolve the surface of (a semiconductor or printed circuit) with a solvent, laser, or stream of electrons
See also: carved, carven [archaic]
Type of: carve, chip at, dissolve, print, show
Encyclopedia: Etched Etch