Noun: Fed fed
Verb: feed (fed) feed
- The central bank of the United States; incorporates 12 Federal Reserve branch banks and all national banks and state-chartered commercial banks and some trust companies
"the Fed seeks to control the United States economy by raising and lowering short-term interest rates and the money supply";
- Federal Reserve System, Federal Reserve, FRS
- Any federal law-enforcement officer
- Federal, federal official
- Provide as food
"Feed the guests the nuts"
- Give food to
"Feed the starving children in India";
- Increase or justify; supply with a source of material
"Her success feeds her vanity"
- Introduce continuously
"feed carrots into a food processor";
- feed in
- Support or promote
"His admiration fed her vanity"
- Take in food; used of animals only
- Serve as food for; be the food for
"This dish feeds six"
- Move along, of liquids
"the Missouri feeds into the Mississippi";
- run, flow, course
- Profit from in an exploitatory manner
"He feeds on her insecurity";
"feed one's eyes on a gorgeous view";
- (farming) provide with fertilizers or add nutrients to
"We should feed soil if we want to grow healthy plants";
- fertilize, fertilise [Brit], enrich
Derived forms: Feds
Type of: advance, agent, boost, cater, central bank, consume, enclose, encourage, enrich, exploit, federal agent, furnish, further, have, inclose, ingest, insert, introduce, move, ply, promote, provide, put in, regale, render, stick in, supply, take, take in, treat, work
Encyclopedia: Fed Feed