Adjective: hedged hejd
Verb: hedge hej
- Evasively worded in order to avoid an unqualified statement
- Avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
"They tend to hedge their responsibilities";
- fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep, finesse
- Hinder or restrict with or as if with a hedge
"The animals were hedged in"
- Enclose or bound in with or as it with a hedge or hedges
"hedge the property";
- hedge in
- Minimize loss or risk
"diversify your financial portfolio to hedge price risks"; "hedge your bets"
See also: qualified
Type of: avoid, close in, enclose, hem in, inclose, minimise [Brit], minimize, shut in
Encyclopedia: Hedged Hedge