Verb: hop (hopped,hopping) hóp
Noun: hop hóp
- Jump lightly
- skip, hop-skip
- Move quickly from one place to another
- Travel by means of an aircraft, bus, etc.
"She hopped a train to Chicago"; "He hopped rides all over the country"
- Traverse as if by a short aeroplane trip
"Hop the Pacific Ocean"
- Jump across
"He hopped the bush"
- Make a jump forward or upward
- The act of hopping; jumping upward or forward (especially on one foot)
- Twining perennials having cordate leaves and flowers arranged in conelike spikes; the dried flowers of this plant are used in brewing to add the characteristic bitter taste to beer
- An informal dance where popular music is played
- record hop
Derived forms: hopping, hopped, hops
See also: hop on
Type of: bound, clear, cover, cross, cut across, cut through, dance, get across, get over, jump, jumping, leap, move, pass over, spring, top, track, travel, traverse, vine
Part of: genus Humulus, Humulus
Encyclopedia: Hop, skip and jump