Verb: hope howp
Noun: hope howp
- Expect and wish
"I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise";
- trust, desire
- Be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes
"I am still hoping that all will turn out well"
- Intend with some possibility of fulfilment
"I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening";
- go for
Noun: Hope howp
- A specific instance of feeling hopeful
"it revived their hope of winning the pennant"
- The general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled
"in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope"
- Grounds for feeling hopeful about the future
"there is little or no hope that he will recover";
- Someone (or something) on which expectations are centred
"he was their best hope for a victory"
- One of the three Christian virtues
- United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (1903-2003)
- Bob Hope, Leslie Townes Hope
Derived forms: hoped, hopes, hoping
Type of: anticipation, be after, comedian, comic, desire, expectancy, expectation, feeling, funnyman, individual, mortal, outlook, person, plan, prospect, somebody, someone, soul, supernatural virtue, theological virtue, want, wish
Encyclopedia: Hope, Michigan