Verb: increase 'in,krees
Noun: increase 'in,krees
- Become bigger or greater in amount
"The amount of work increased"
- Make bigger or more
"The boss finally increased her salary"; "The university increased the number of students it admitted"
- Add something extra to make more intense or better
"This will increase your enjoyment";
- enhance, heighten, raise
- A quantity that is added
"there was an increase to property taxes this year";
- addition, gain
- A change resulting in an increase
"the increase is scheduled for next month"
- A process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important
"the increase in unemployment";
- increment, growth
- The amount by which something increases
"they proposed an increase of 15 percent in the fare";
- The act of increasing something
"he gave me an increase in salary";
Derived forms: increased, increases, increasing
Type of: alter, alteration, amount, change, change magnitude, change of magnitude, compound, deepen, heighten, indefinite quantity, intensify, modification, modify, physical process, process
Encyclopedia: Increase, Mississippi