Adjective: jarring jaa-ring
Verb: jar (jarred,jarring) jaa(r)
- Making or causing a harsh and irritating sound
"the jarring noise of the iron gate scraping on the pavement"
- Be incompatible; be or come into conflict
"These colours jar";
- clash, collide
- Move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
- Shock physically
- shake up, bump around
- Affect in a disagreeable way
"This play jarred the audience"
- Place in a cylindrical vessel
"jar the jam"
See also: cacophonic, cacophonous
Type of: affect, conflict, displace, impress, lay, move, place, pose, position, put, set, strike
Encyclopedia: Jar Jar, Norway