Noun: majors mey-ju(r)z
Noun: major mey-ju(r)
- (baseball) the most important league in any sport (especially baseball)
- major league, big league
Verb: major mey-ju(r)
- (military) a commissioned military officer in the United States Army or Air Force or Marines; below lieutenant colonel and above captain
- [N. Amer, Austral, NZ] A university student who is studying a particular field as the principal subject
"she is a linguistics major"
- [N. Amer, Austral, NZ] The principal field of study of a student at a university
"her major is linguistics"
Usage: N. Amer, Austral, NZ
- Have as one's principal field of study
"She is majoring in linguistics"
Type of: bailiwick, commissioned military officer, conference, discipline, educatee, field, field of study, league, pupil, student, study, subject, subject area, subject field
Encyclopedia: Majors Major, John Roy