Noun: map map
Verb: map (mapped,mapping) map
- A diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it)
- (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
- function, mathematical function, single-valued function, mapping
- Make a map of; show or establish the features or details of
"map the surface of Venus"
- Explore or survey for the purpose of making a map
"We haven't even begun to map the many galaxies that we know exist"
- Locate within a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known DNA or gene sequences
"map the genes"
- Plan, delineate, or arrange in detail
"map one's future";
- map out
- Depict as if on a map
"sorrow was mapped on the mother's face"
- To establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets)
Derived forms: mapped, mapping, maps
Type of: commute, contrive, depict, design, explore, interpret, locate, mathematical relation, permute, picture, plan, project, render, represent, representation, show, situate, transpose
Encyclopedia: Map, filter, reduce