Noun: night nIt
- The time after sunset and before sunrise while it is dark outside
- nighttime, dark
- A period of ignorance, backwardness or gloom
- The period spent sleeping
"I had a restless night"
- The dark part of the diurnal cycle considered a time unit
"three nights later he collapsed"
"it vanished into the night"
- A shortening of nightfall
"they worked from morning to night"
- The time between sunset and midnight
"he watched television every night"
- Roman goddess of night; daughter of Erebus; counterpart of Greek Nyx
Sounds like: kn
Derived forms: nights
Type of: crepuscle, crepuscule, dark, darkness, dusk, evenfall, fall, gloam [archaic], gloaming, nightfall, period, period of time, Roman deity, time period, time unit, twilight, unit of time
Part of: 24-hour interval, day, mean solar day, solar day, twenty-four hour period, twenty-four hours
Encyclopedia: Night, Mother