Verb: paint peynt
Noun: paint peynt
- (art) make a painting
"he painted all day in the garden"; "He painted a painting of the garden"
- Apply paint to; coat with paint
"We painted the rooms yellow"
- (art) make a painting of
"He painted his mistress many times"
- Apply a liquid to; e.g., paint the gutters with linseed oil
- A substance used as a coating to protect or decorate a surface (especially a mixture of pigment suspended in a liquid); dries to form a hard coating
"artists use 'paint' and 'pigment' interchangeably";
- (basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court; usually painted a different colour from the rest of the court
"he dominates play in the paint";
- Makeup consisting of a pink or red powder applied to the cheeks
- rouge, blusher, blush [N. Amer]
Derived forms: paints, painted, painting
Type of: coat, coating, color [US], coloring material [US], colour [Brit, Cdn], colouring material [Brit, Cdn], cover, create, interpret, makeup, make-up, represent, space, surface, war paint [informal]
Part of: basketball court
Encyclopedia: Paint Paint, PA Paint, Pennsylvania