Noun: posting pow-sting
Verb: post powst
- A sign posted in a public place as an advertisement
"a posting advertised the coming attractions";
- poster, placard, notice, bill, card
- (bookkeeping) a listing on the company's records
"the posting was made in the cash account"
- The transmission of a letter
"the postmark indicates the time of posting";
- A message on an internet discussion forum, blog, newsgroup, mailing list, etc.
- [Brit] An appointment to a job, esp. one abroad
- [Brit] Send via the postal service
- mail, get off
- Affix in a public place or for public notice
"post a warning"
- Publicize with, or as if with, a poster
"I'll post the news on the bulletin board"
- Assign to a post; put into a post
"The newspaper posted him in Timbuktu"
- Assign to a particular location
- station, send, place
- Display, as of records in sports games
- Enter on a public list
- Transfer (entries) from one account book to another
- (riding) ride Western style and bob up and down in the saddle in rhythm with a horse's trotting gait
- Mark with a stake
"post out the path";
- Place so as to be noticed
"post a warning at the dump"; "post a sign";
- put up
- [Brit] Give to a courier to take to another place
"I'll post you the paper when it's written";
- mail, send
- Mark or expose as infamous
"She was posted a loose woman";
Derived forms: postings
See also: posted
Type of: affix, announce, assign, call, delegate, denote, depute, designate, displace, enter, instal, install, list, listing, mark, move, put down, put in, record, ride horseback, send, send out, set up, sign, stick on, transfer, transmission, transmittal, transmitting
Encyclopedia: Posting Post, Oregon