Noun: prescription pri'skrip-shun
Adjective: prescription pri'skrip-shun
- Directions prescribed beforehand; the action of prescribing authoritative rules or directions
"I tried to follow her prescription for success"
- A drug that is available only with written instructions from a doctor or dentist to a pharmacist
"he told the doctor that he had been taking his prescription regularly";
- prescription drug, prescription medicine, ethical drug
- Written instructions for an optician on the lenses for a given person
- Written instructions from a physician or dentist to a pharmacist concerning the form and dosage of a drug to be issued to a given patient
- (medicine) available only with a doctor's written prescription
"a prescription drug"
Derived forms: prescriptions
Type of: black and white, direction, instruction, medicament, medication, medicinal drug, medicine, written communication, written language