Noun: priming prI-ming
Verb: prime prIm
- The act of making something ready
- Any igniter that is used to initiate the burning of a propellant
- fuse, fuze [N. Amer], fusee, fuzee [N. Amer], primer
- The first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface
- flat coat, ground, primer, primer coat, priming coat, undercoat
- Insert a primer into (a gun, mine, or charge) preparatory to detonation or firing
"prime a cannon"; "prime a mine"
- Cover with a primer; apply a primer to
- ground, undercoat
- Fill with priming liquid
"prime a car engine"
Derived forms: primings
Type of: coat of paint, fill, fill up, fix, gear up, igniter, ignitor, light, lighter, make full, paint, preparation, prepare, ready, readying, set, set up
Encyclopedia: Priming Prime