Verb: promise pró-mis
Noun: promise pró-mis
- Make a commitment to do (or not to do) something in the future
- Commit to undertake or give
"I promise you my best effort"
- Make a prediction about; tell in advance
"promise the outcome of an election";
- predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, anticipate
- Give grounds for expectations
"The new results were promising"; "The results promised fame and glory"
- A verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
- Grounds for feeling hopeful about the future
"there is little or no promise that he will recover";
Derived forms: promising, promises, promised
Type of: be, commitment, declare, dedication, expectation, guess, hazard, outlook, pretend, pronounce, prospect, speech act, venture
Encyclopedia: Promise, Divine