Adjective: promising pró-mu-sing
Verb: promise pró-mis
- Showing possibility of achievement or excellence
"a promising young man"
- Full of promise
"the scandal threatened an abrupt end to a promising political career";
- bright, hopeful
- Make a commitment to do (or not to do) something in the future
- Commit to undertake or give
"I promise you my best effort"
- Make a prediction about; tell in advance
"promise the outcome of an election";
- predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, anticipate
- Give grounds for expectations
"The new results were promising"; "The results promised fame and glory"
See also: auspicious, likely
Type of: be, declare, guess, hazard, pretend, pronounce, venture
Encyclopedia: Promise, Divine