Noun: pump púmp
Verb: pump púmp
- A mechanical device that moves fluid or gas by pressure or suction
- The hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions move the blood through the body
"he stood still, his pump thumping wildly";
- heart, ticker
- A low-cut shoe without fastenings
- Operate like a pump; move up and down, like a handle or a pedal
"pump the gas pedal"
- Deliver forth
"pump bullets into the dummy"
- Draw or pour with a pump
- Supply in great quantities
"Pump money into a project"
- Flow intermittently
- Move up and down
"The athlete pumps weights in the gym"
- Raise (gases or fluids) with a pump
- Question persistently
"She pumped the witnesses for information"
Derived forms: pumped, pumps, pumping
Type of: blast, bring up, displace, draw, elevate, furnish, get up, gush, handle, internal organ, lift, manage, mechanical device, move, provide, query, question, raise, render, shoe, shoot, spirt, spout, spurt, supply, take out, viscus, wield
Part of: cardiovascular system, circulatory system, cooling system, engine cooling system, fuel system