Noun: quarter k(w)or-tu(r)
Verb: quarter k(w)or-tu(r)
- One of four equal parts
"a quarter of a pound";
- one-fourth, fourth, one-quarter, fourth part, twenty-five percent, quartern
- A district of a city having some distinguishing character
"the Latin Quarter"
- (football, professional basketball) one of four divisions into which some games are divided
"both teams scored in the first quarter"
- A unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
"it's a quarter til 4"; "a quarter after 4 o'clock"
- One of four periods into which the school year is divided
"the fall quarter ends at Christmas"
- A fourth part of a year; three months
"unemployment fell during the last quarter"
- One of the four major divisions of the compass
"the wind is coming from that quarter"
- [US] A quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
- [Brit] A quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
- A United States or Canadian coin worth one fourth of a dollar
"he fed four quarters into the slot machine"
- An unspecified person
"he dropped a word in the right quarter"
- The rear part of a ship
- stern, after part, poop, tail
- Piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
- Clemency or mercy shown to a defeated opponent
"he surrendered but asked for quarter"
- (military) provide housing for (military personnel)
- billet, canton
- Pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him
"in the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes";
- draw, draw and quarter
- Divide into quarters
"quarter an apple"
Derived forms: quartering, quartered, quarters
Type of: academic session, academic term, accommodate, avoirdupois unit, back, British capacity unit, city district, clemency, coin, common fraction, division, Imperial capacity unit, individual, kill, lodge, mercifulness, mercy, mortal, orientation, part, period, period of time, person, piece of leather, rear, school term, section, segment, session, simple fraction, somebody, someone, soul, time period, time unit, unit of time, vulgar fraction [Brit]
Part of: 60 minutes, academic year, cental, centner, cwt, hour, hr, hundredweight, long hundredweight, period of play, play, playing period, quintal, school year, ship, short hundredweight, upper
Encyclopedia: Quarter, South Lanarkshire