Noun: retreated ri'tree-tid
Verb: retreat ri'treet
- People who have retreated
"he had only contempt for the retreated"
- Pull back or move away or backward
"The enemy retreated";
- withdraw, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back
- Move away, as for privacy
"The Pope retreats to Castelgondolfo every summer"
- Move back
"The glacier retreats";
- Make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity
- pull back, back out, back away, crawfish [N. Amer], crawfish out [N. Amer], pull in one's horns, withdraw, crayfish [US]
Type of: go, locomote, move, people, travel
Encyclopedia: Retreat, New Jersey