Noun: retrofit 're-trow,fit
Verb: retrofit (retrofitted,retrofitting) 're-trow,fit
- A component or accessory added to something after it has been manufactured
- The act of adding a component or accessory to something that did not have it when it was manufactured
"the court ordered a retrofit on all automobiles"
- Provide with parts, devices, or equipment not available or in use at the time of the original manufacture
"The car companies retrofitted all the old models with new carburetors"
- Fit in or on an existing structure, such as an older house
"The mansion was retrofitted with modern plumbing"
- Substitute new or modernized parts or equipment for older ones
"The laboratory retrofitted to meet the safety codes"
Derived forms: retrofits, retrofitted, retrofitting
Type of: addition, component, constituent, element, furnish, instal, install, modernise [Brit], modernize, overhaul, provide, put in, render, set up, supply