Noun: seat seet
Verb: seat seet
- A space reserved for sitting (as in a theatre or on a train or aeroplane)
"he booked their seats in advance";
- The fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
"he deserves a good kick in the seat";
- buttocks, nates, butt, backside, bum, buns [N. Amer], can [N. Amer, informal], fundament, hindquarters, hind end, posterior, rear, rear end, rump, stern, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush [N. Amer], bottom, behind, derriere, heinie [US], patootie [US], tushy [N. Amer], derrière
- Furniture that is designed for sitting on
"there were not enough seats for all the guests"
- Any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit)
"he dusted off the seat before sitting down"
- A centre of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
- The location (metaphorically speaking) where something is based
"the brain is said to be the seat of reason"
- The legal right to sit as a member in a legislative or similar body
"he was elected to a seat in the Senate"
- A part of a machine that supports or guides another part
- The cloth covering for the buttocks
"the seat of his pants was worn through"
- Show to a seat; assign a seat for
"The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith";
- sit, sit down
- Be able to seat
"The theatre seats 2,000"
- Place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position
"there was a ceremony to seat the president of the Academy";
- induct, invest
- (cabinetwork) put a seat on a chair
- (architecture) provide with seats
"seat a concert hall"
- Place or attach firmly in or on a base
"seat the camera on the tripod"
- Place in or on a seat
"the mother seated the toddler on the high chair"
Derived forms: seated, seats, seating
Type of: accommodate, admit, article of furniture, body part, center [US], centre [Brit, Cdn], cloth covering, eye, furnish, furniture, heart, hold, instal, install, lay, legal right, location, middle, part, piece of furniture, place, portion, pose, position, provide, put, render, set, space, supply, support
Part of: body, dack [Austral, NZ], dak [Austral, NZ], pant [N. Amer], seating, seating area, seating room, seats, skirt, torso, trouser, trunk