Noun: sensing sen-sing
Verb: sense sen(t)s
- The perception that something has occurred or some state exists
- Becoming aware of something via the senses
- Perceive by a physical sensation, e.g., coming from the skin or muscles
"He sensed the wind";
- Detect some circumstance or entity automatically
"This robot can sense the presence of people in the room"; "particle detectors sense ionization"
- Become aware of not through the senses but instinctively
"I sense his hostility";
- smell, smell out
"I sensed the real meaning of his letter"
Derived forms: sensings
Type of: comprehend, detect, discover, find, notice, observe, perceive, perception, sensory activity, understand
Encyclopedia: Sensing Sense