Noun: shades sheydz
Noun: shade sheyd
- Spectacles that are darkened or polarized to protect the eyes from the glare of the sun
"he was wearing a pair of mirrored shades";
- sunglasses, dark glasses, sunnies [Austral, NZ]
Verb: shade sheyd
- Relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body
"it is much cooler in the shade";
- shadiness, shadowiness
- A quality of a given colour that differs slightly from another colour
"after several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted";
- tint, tincture, tone
- Protective covering that protects something from direct sunlight
"they used umbrellas as shades"; "as the sun moved he readjusted the shade"
- A subtle difference in meaning, opinion or attitude
"don't argue about shades of meaning";
- nuance, nicety, subtlety, refinement
- A position of relative inferiority
"an achievement that puts everything else in the shade"; "his brother's success left him in the shade"
- A slight amount or degree of difference
"the new model is a shade better than the old one";
- A mental representation of some haunting experience
"he looked like he had seen a shade";
- ghost, spook, wraith, specter [US], spectre [Brit, Cdn]
- A representation of the effect of shadows in a picture or drawing (as by shading or darker pigment)
- Cast a shadow over
- shadow, shade off
- (art) represent the effect of shade or shadow on
- fill in
- Protect from light, heat, or view
"Shade your eyes when you step out into the bright sunlight"
- Vary slightly
"shade the meaning"
- Pass from one quality such as colour to another by a slight degree
"the butterfly wings shade to yellow"
Type of: alter, apparition, block out, change, color [US], coloring [US], colour [Brit, Cdn], colouring [Brit, Cdn], darken, draw, eyeglasses [N. Amer], fantasm, glasses, import, inferiority, lower rank, lower status, meaning, modify, paint, phantasm, phantasma, phantom, protection, protective cover, protective covering, representation, screen, semidarkness, shadow, significance, signification, small indefinite amount, small indefinite quantity, specs, spectacles
Encyclopedia: Shades Shade, Ohio Shade, 2005 Shade Shade, the Changing Man Shade, The Changing man Shade, The Changing Man