Verb: shorten shor-t(u)n
- Make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration
"He shortened his trip due to illness"
- Reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
"The manuscript must be shortened";
- abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, cut, contract, reduce
- Make short or shorter
"shorten the skirt"; "shorten the rope by a few inches"
- Become short or shorter
"In winter, the days shorten"
- Edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate
"shorten a novel";
- bowdlerize, bowdlerise [Brit], expurgate, castrate
Derived forms: shortening, shortens, shortened
Type of: alter, bring down, change, cut, cut back, cut down, decrease, diminish, fall, lessen, minify, modify, reduce, trim, trim back, trim down