Adjective: sidelong 'sId,long [N. Amer], 'sId,lóng [Brit]
Adverb: sidelong 'sId,long [N. Amer], 'sId,lóng [Brit]
- (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
- askance, askant, asquint, squint, squint-eyed, squinty
- Situated at or extending to the side
"shot out sidelong boughs";
- Inclining or directed to one side
"moved downward in a sidelong way"
- On the side
"the plough lay sidelong on the ground"
- With the side toward someone or something
"seated sidelong to the window"
- To, toward or at one side
"darting eyes looking sidelong out of a wizened face";
- sideways, obliquely
See also: inclined, indirect, side