Noun: speaking spee-king
Adjective: speaking spee-king
- The utterance of intelligible speech
- speech production
- Delivering an address to a public audience
"people came to see the candidates and hear the public speaking";
- public speaking, speechmaking, oral presentation
Verb: speak (spoke,spoken, also spake) speek
- Capable of or involving speech or speaking
"human beings--the speaking animals"; "a speaking part in the play"
- Express in speech
"She speaks a lot of nonsense";
- talk, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise [Brit]
- Exchange thoughts; convey ideas
"We often speak business";
- Use language
"the prisoner won't speak"; "they speak a strange dialect";
- Give a speech to
- Make a characteristic or natural sound
"The drums spoke"
Derived forms: speakings
See also: speak for, speak up, tongued
Type of: address, communicate, intercommunicate, sound, speech, utterance, vocalization
Encyclopedia: Speaking Speak, Music!