Noun: stiffening sti-f(u-)ning
Verb: stiffen sti-fun
- The act of becoming stiff
"stiffening his shoulders, he prepared to advance"
- The process of becoming stiff or rigid
- rigidifying, rigidification
- Become stiff or stiffer
"He stiffened when he saw his boss enter the room"
- Make stiff or stiffer
"Stiffen the cream by adding gelatine"
- (of laws or regulations) make more restrictive, or impose greater penalties
"stiffen the regulations";
- tighten, tighten up, constrain
Derived forms: stiffenings
Type of: action, activity, alter, bound, change, confine, limit, modify, natural action, natural process, procedure, process, restrain, restrict, throttle, trammel