Noun: stiffness stif-nus
- The physical property of being inflexible and hard to bend
- The property of moving with pain or difficulty
"he awoke with a painful stiffness in his neck"
- Firm resoluteness in purpose, opinion or action
"a charming host without any touch of stiffness or pomposity"
- The inelegance of someone stiff and unrelaxed (as by embarrassment)
- awkwardness, clumsiness, gracelessness
- Excessive sternness
"stiffness of character";
- severity, severeness, harshness, rigor [US], rigour [Brit, Cdn], rigorousness, rigourousness [Brit, non-standard], inclemency, hardness
Type of: awkwardness, clumsiness, firmness, firmness of purpose, inelasticity, inelegance, resoluteness, resolution, resolve, sternness, strictness