Noun: stuff stúf
Verb: stuff stúf
- The tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object
"wheat is the stuff they use to make bread";
- Miscellaneous unspecified objects
"the trunk was full of stuff"
- Informal term for personal possessions
"did you take all your stuff?";
- clobber [Brit]
- Senseless talk
"don't give me that stuff";
- stuff and nonsense, hooey [N. Amer], poppycock, bollocks [Brit]
- Unspecified qualities required to do or be something
"the stuff of heros"; "you don't have the stuff to be a United States Marine"
- Information in some unspecified form
"it was stuff I had heard before"; "there's good stuff in that book"
- A critically important or characteristic component
"suspense is the very stuff of narrative"
- Cram into a cavity
"The child stuffed candy into his pockets"
- Press or force
"Stuff money into an envelope";
- thrust, shove, squeeze
"My nose is all stuffed";
- lug, choke up, block
- Overeat or eat immodestly; make a pig of oneself
"She stuffed herself at the dinner";
- gorge, ingurgitate, overindulge, glut, englut, engorge, overgorge, overeat, gormandize, gormandise [Brit], gourmandize, binge, pig out, satiate, scarf out, gourmandise [Brit]
- Treat with grease, fill, and prepare for mounting
"stuff a bearskin"
- Fill tightly with a material
"stuff a pillow with feathers"
- (cooking) fill with a stuffing while cooking
"Have you stuffed the turkey yet?";
Derived forms: stuffs, stuffing, stuffed
Type of: article, back up, bunk, center [US], centre [Brit, Cdn], choke, choke off, clog, clog up, congest, core, cram, eat, essence, fill, fill up, force, foul, gist, heart, heart and soul, hokum, impregnate, info, information, inwardness, kernel, make full, marrow, meaninglessness, meat, nitty-gritty, nonsense, nonsensicality, nub, object, personal estate, personal property, personalty, physical object, pith, private property, push, quality, saturate, substance, sum
Encyclopedia: Stuff, the Chinatown Kid