Noun: swimming swi-ming
Adjective: swimming swi-ming
- The act of swimming
"it was the swimming they enjoyed most";
Verb: swim (swam,swum,swimming) swim
- Filled or brimming with tears
- (heraldry) applied to a fish depicted horizontally
- Travel through water
"We had to swim for 20 minutes to reach the shore"; "a big fish was swimming in the tank"
- Be afloat either on or below a liquid surface and not sink to the bottom
- Be dizzy or giddy
"my brain is swimming after the bottle of champagne"
- Be covered with or submerged in a liquid
"the meat was swimming in a fatty gravy";
- Move as if gliding through water
"this snake swims through the soil where it lives"
Derived forms: swimmings
See also: horizontal, tearful
Type of: aquatics, be, go, locomote, move, travel, water sport
Encyclopedia: Swimming Swim