Noun: testing te-sting
Verb: test test
- The act of subjecting to experimental test in order to determine how well something works
"they agreed to end the testing of atomic weapons"
- An examination of the characteristics of something
"there are laboratories for commercial testing"; "it involved testing thousands of children for smallpox"
- The act of giving students or candidates a test (as by questions) to determine what they know or have learned
- Put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
"Test this recipe";
- prove, try, try out, examine, essay, trial
- Check for the presence of disease or infection
"test the blood for the HIV virus";
- Examine someone's knowledge of something
"The teacher tests us every week";
- Show a certain characteristic when tested
"He tested positive for HIV"
- Achieve a certain score or rating on a test
"She tested high on the LSAT and was admitted to all the good law schools"
- Determine the presence or properties of (a substance)
- Undergo a test
"She doesn't test well"
Derived forms: testings
Type of: ascertain, be, check, determine, evaluate, examination, examine, experiment, experimentation, find out, investigating, investigation, judge, learn, pass judgment, score, scrutiny, see, submit, take, watch
Encyclopedia: Testing, adjusting, balancing Test