Adjective: threatened thre-t(u)nd
Verb: threaten thre-t(u)n
- (of flora or fauna) likely in the near future to become endangered
"the spotted owl is a threatened species, not yet an endangered one"
- Pose a threat to; present a danger to
"The pollution is threatening the crops";
- endanger, jeopardize, jeopardise [Brit], menace, imperil, peril
- To utter intentions of injury or punishment against
"He threatened me when I tried to call the police"
- To be a menacing indication of something
"The clouds threaten rain"; "Danger threatens"
See also: vulnerable
Type of: augur, auspicate, be, betoken [archaic], bode, exist, forecast, foreshadow, foretell, foretoken, omen, portend, predict, prefigure, presage, prognosticate, warn