Noun: umbrella ,úm'bre-lu
Adjective: umbrella ,úm'bre-lu
- A lightweight handheld collapsible canopy used to keep off rain
- (military) a formation of military planes maintained over ground operations or targets
"an air umbrella over England"
- Having the function of uniting a group of similar things
"the Democratic Party is an umbrella for many liberal groups"; "under the umbrella of capitalism"
- The main body of a jellyfish, excluding the tentacles
- Covering or applying simultaneously to a number of similar items or elements or groups
"an umbrella organization"; "umbrella insurance coverage"
Derived forms: umbrellas
See also: comprehensive
Type of: canopy, conjugation, defence [Brit, Cdn], defense [US], defensive measure, jointure, unification, union, uniting