Adjective: uncertain ,ún'sur-t(u)n
- Lacking or indicating lack of confidence or assurance
"uncertain of his convictions"; "moving with uncertain steps"; "an uncertain smile"; "touched the ornaments with uncertain fingers";
- unsure, incertain [non-standard]
- Not established beyond doubt; still undecided or unknown
"a manuscript of uncertain origin"; "plans are still uncertain"; "changes of great if uncertain consequences"; "without further evidence his story must remain uncertain"; "an uncertain future";
- Not established or confirmed
"his doom is as yet uncertain";
- Not certain to occur; not inevitable
"everything is uncertain about the army"; "the issue is uncertain"
- Subject to change
"the weather is uncertain";
- changeable, unsettled
- Not consistent or dependable
"an uncertain recollection of events"; "a gun with a rather uncertain trigger"
- Ambiguous (especially in the negative)
"she spoke in no uncertain terms"
See also: ambiguous, ambivalent, assurance, authority, certainty, chancy, confidence, contingent, doubtful, dubious, flukey, fluky, foregone conclusion, groping, iffy, indefinite, indeterminate, self-assurance, self-confidence, sure thing, sureness, undependable, undetermined, unpredictable, unreliable, up in the air, variable
Encyclopedia: Uncertain Uncertain, TX Uncertain, Texas