Adjective: assimilating u'si-mu,ley-ting
Verb: assimilate u'si-mu,leyt
- Capable of taking (gas, light, or liquids) into a solution
"an assimilating substance";
- assimilative, assimilatory
- Take up mentally
"he assimilated the knowledge or beliefs of his tribe";
- absorb, ingest, take in
- Become similar to one's environment
"Immigrants often want to assimilate quickly"
- Make similar
"This country assimilates immigrants very quickly"
- Take (gas, light or heat) into a solution
- (phonetics) become similar in sound
"The nasal assimilates to the following consonant"
See also: absorbent, absorptive
Type of: absorb, acquire, adapt, adjust, alter, change, conform, larn, learn, modify
Encyclopedia: Assimilating Assimilate