Verb: believe bi'leev
- Accept as true; take to be true
"I believed his report"; "We didn't believe his stories from the War"; "She believes in spirits"
- Judge or regard; look upon
"I believe her to be very smart";
- think, consider, conceive
- Be confident about something
"I believe that he will come back from the war";
- (religion) follow a credo; have a faith; be a believer
"When you hear his sermons, you will be able to believe, too"
- Credit with veracity
"You cannot believe this man"; "Should we believe a publication like the National Enquirer?"
Derived forms: believing, believed, believes
Type of: accept, anticipate, credit, evaluate, expect, judge, pass judgment