Adjective: continental ,kón-ti'nen-t(u)l
Noun: continental ,kón-ti'nen-t(u)l
- Of or relating to or characteristic of a continent
"the continental divide"; "continental drift"
- Being or concerning or limited to a continent especially the continents of North America or Europe
"the continental United States"; "continental Europe"; "continental waters"
- Of or pertaining to or typical of Europe
"a continental breakfast"
- Of or relating to or concerning the American colonies during and immediately after the American Revolutionary War
"the Continental Army"; "the Continental Congress"
- Someone from the European mainland
- The European mainland
"Englishmen like to visit the Continent but they wouldn't like to live there"
Derived forms: continentals
See also: continent-wide, transcontinental
Type of: mainland
Part of: Europe
Encyclopedia: Continental, OH Continental Continental, Ohio Continental, un film sans fusil Continental, a Film Without Guns Continent