Noun: contrivance kun'trI-vun(t)s
- A device or control that is very useful for a particular job
- appliance, contraption, convenience, gadget, gizmo, gismo, widget
- The faculty of contriving; inventive skill
"his skilful contrivance of answers to every problem"
- An elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade
"his testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track";
- stratagem, dodge
- An artificial or unnatural or obviously contrived arrangement of details or parts etc.
"the plot contained too many improbable contrivances to be believable"
- Any improvised arrangement for temporary use
- The act of devising something
Derived forms: contrivances
Type of: arrangement, conception, design, device, excogitation, fiction, innovation, invention, organisation [Brit], organization, scheme, strategy, system